In 2022, 29 departments and schools in the university will accept international students with Bachelor's degrees to pursue Doctoral degrees (please see this year's doctoral program catalog). For students with a Bachelor's degree who move on directly to pursue a Doctoral degree program, the study period is normally 4-5 years. Applicants must meet the following requirements and relevant eligibility criteria; submit the required application materials online.
School/Department accepting bachelor's degree holders to pursue doctoral degrees 2022
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
Bachelor's degree holders, or students who will graduate in 2022(students who have yet to graduate must guarantee to obtain their Bachelor's degree before the registration date for Doctoral students).The degree diploma should be authenticated by THU designated institutions.
Applicants should be in good health and of good character(meet the physical examination requirements stipulated by the country and THU)be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China's laws and regulations, as well as Tsinghua's rules.
Language Competence Requirements:
Chinese Proficiency Requirements:Applicants must meet the minimum requirement of Chinese proficiency stipulated in the information of relevant school/department in 'Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022'.
English Proficiency Requirements:Non-native English speakers must meet the minimum English language requirements stipulated in the information of relevant school/department in 'Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022'.
Recommendation Letters:Two recommendation letters from scholars who hold the title of associate professor or higher. The letters must state that the Bachelor's degree holder has the learning and research ability to pursue a Doctoral degree directly.
Other application requirements as defined by individual programs (stated in ’Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022' or on specific program application website).
Note: The applicant shall carefully check whether he / she meets the application qualification and application requirements (including the application requirements declared by the target school/department/major/program) before applying. The relevant consequences arising from his / her failure to meet the application qualification and application requirements shall be borne by the applicant himself / herself.
Applicants must complete the online application in accordance with the instructions given under 'Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2022（For International Students)' , and must submit all the required documents listed below:
1. Personal statement (only for bachelor degree holders to pursue doctoral degree programs) and a brief introduction of research experience or research plan.(The Personal Statement should be filled out in accordance with the requirements of university template).
2. Bachelor’s degree certificate and degree authentication.The degree authentication should be issued by THU designated institutions. Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline shall provide the expected graduation certificate first, the degree diploma and degree authentication must be submitted before registration. Applicants who have graduated are required to provide the degree authentication at the same time. The authentication and the original degree diploma should be combined into one PDF file and uploaded to the application system.
3. Academic transcript. Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline must provide their current transcript. In this case, the completed academic transcript must be submitted before registration.
4. HSK certificate and score report.Applicants must provide an HSK certificate and score report which shows they have reached the level required by the target school/department (please see the requirements in 'Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022'). Applicants who complete their undergraduate studies in Chinese must provide a certificate issued by the university they graduated from. After obtaining the permission of the applied school/department, they can be exempted from submitting the HSK score certificate.Those who intend to apply for Chinese government scholarships must provide corresponding HSK score report according to the requirements of scholarship application.
5. TOEFL or IELTS score report.Applicants who are not native English speakers must provide their TOEFL or IELTS scores according to the requirements of the target school/departments. Please see the requirements stated in 'Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022'.
6. Recommendation Letters:Two recommendation letters from scholars who hold the title of associate professor or higher.The letters must state that the Bachelor's degree holder has the learning and research ability to pursue a Doctoral degree directly.
7. Passport:Passport information page (Ordinary passport). Individuals who previously held Chinese nationality and subsequently acquired foreign nationality are required to provide either a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household Registration (Hukou) or a Certificate of Renunciation of Chinese Nationality, or a Certificate of Non-Chinese Nationality issued by a Chinese diplomatic mission/consulate.
8. Other application documents required by some schools/departments (stated in 'Doctoral Programs Catalog 2022' or on the school/department application website).
Evaluation and Admission
THU admits students based on evaluation of their application documents together with a comprehensive assessment. The application materials are reviewed by an expert group of the relevant departments / schools, and the candidates for the comprehensive assessment will be selected based on the review results. The further assessment of bachelor degree holders to pursue doctoral degree program normally will be conducted in a public interview within the specific range of the university. The method of the interview (on-site interview or remote interview), the location and the time are determined by the target school/department and will be notified to the applicants.
THU comprehensively considers the results of material review, comprehensive assessment and other factors, selects the best candidates, and determines the admission list .Applicants may check their admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students.
1.Applicants must ensure that the application information ,application materials,degree certificate and degree authenticationprovided are true and accurate. If the admissions unit or certification department verifies that anything in the application is not true, the application, admission or study qualification will be cancelled.
2.Applicants who are found to be in breach of academic ethics, professional ethics, honesty and trustworthiness, etc., will not be admitted or admission/study qualification will be cancelled after this breach has been verified.
3.Applicant who has any objection to the admissions process of the school/department, may file a complaint to the school/department in written form. The school/department should accept the complaint and respond. If the complainant disagrees with the reply, the complainant may appeal to the Graduate Admissions Office.
3.Other unfinished matters in this guide are implemented in accordance with 'Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2022(For International Students'.